I'm not quite sure how I'm feeling right now. We found out Sunday DH's step dad has been really sick for a while, but they were keeping it from us and he was refusing to go to the dr. He ended up going Wed and they said they weren't quite sure what was wrong with him but scheduled him for a CT scan Fri. This morning we get a call from mil that she had to call 911 because his legs were paralyzed. DH ended up calling out of work and we got him a plane ticket there. I just got off the phone with DH and they found two small tumors in his brain. DH said they are small and operable, but they are going to check him to make sure it hasn't spread anywhere else and do some more tests. The cancer doesn't explain all of fil's symptoms. I'm not sure if DD and I should go there and be with them....or if we should wait until we know more. Sorry for the heavy thoughts, but I don't really have anyone else to talk to.
Post by ashiscute on Sept 22, 2016 19:23:12 GMT -5
Oh no @auri. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. How frustrating to be separated from your H while figuring out what's going on. I would sit on it and see what kind of tests he has tomorrow and the results.
So sorry your family is facing this. Best wishes to your SFIL. If the test results will be in right away, I would wait for those then ask your H what he wants. If the wait will be a while, then ask now.
Thanks. I talked to my husband last night, and he's really worried. He wants me to wait until Saturday before coming down though. We have tickets to take DD to a disney on ice show, and he wants me to still take her. He said they are hoping to have some of the bigger test results in by then to have a better idea on whats happening. In the mean time, I guess bil and DH are going to be moving furniture and stuff around their house for them. They are thinking if/when he comes home he'll be in a wheel chair. Just not sure yet if it will be permanent or not.
Update: We got some of the test results in, and the more I hear the angrier I am getting at fil for not going to the dr sooner. His esophagus is full of cancer...it looks like that's where it started and it spread to his brain. He also apparently broke one of his ribs and didn't tell anyone, so now they are looking to see if the cancer spread to his bones as well. I guess they are going to start radiation treatments after they make sure they found it all. Right now, if the worst happens and they can't get rid of it they are estimating he has a year and a half left. DH wants to stay there for a while, so one of his coworkers is going to drop off his work laptop. Looks like I'm going to make the 14 hour car ride to VA with DD and our dog tomorrow afternoon.
ashiscute, We made it in OK yesterday. I ended up letting my parents watch DD for me and taking a nap. It was a long drive. I'm doing ok, right now...still just trying to process things and be here for DH.
I went to the hospital and saw fil, he looks a lot better than I was expecting. He has stage 4 cancer in his throat and brain. There's no cure, but I guess they are going to try the chemo to see if they can extend how long he has left. The dr is estimating a year and a half.
Natural chemical pregnancy 8/2013 Clomid #1 and #2: BFN IVF 1 :0 to use IVF 2:4 great embryos after PGS testing. FET 1: BFP EDD 6/20/15 Chemical Pregnancy FET 2: BFP EDD 11/14/2015 MMC 9.5 weeks twins IVF #3: 2 fair embryos after PGS testing Surprise BFP during break cycle and DD born 4/2016
Then Comes Family, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising
program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.